Sunday 13 November 2011

Sleep deprivation

Sleep deprivation is something all mums experience at some point. They do say that it can be used as a form of torture. As a shift worker, I've always felt fairly well prepared for any sleep deprivation - but I am also well aware of the mind altering effects of 'overtiredness'. Every week when I drive home from night duty I have to find a space of mind where I don't over or under focus on driving. If I focus too much, I feel more tired. If I focus too little, I can loosen my grip on the steering wheel.


So why do I put Mr 2 through similar pain? You see both my boys have got to an age where any sort of sleep during the day greatly affects their ability to go to sleep in the evening. Mr 2 began to experience this lately. At first I worked at reducing the length of his sleep - waking him after an hour... but that hour still added 2-3hrs on to his bedtime. So now I try distracting him through his tired time to keep him awake. If he has been awake all day he falls asleep within minutes of laying down with us at bedtime.


This plan is foiled by any trip in the car for any more than 15 minutes or, by Mr 2 sneaking away quietly while I am distracted and falling asleep almost anywhere...


It's a work in progress :)

Sleeping across the threshold!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog! How sweet is that picture :) Are you still posting? x

    ReplyDelete